Hurricanes have a special place in our heart in Florida. The effects range from a few days off of work and school (in the Florida heat with no electricity… or air conditioning) to complete devastation of a town. When you are younger its a thrill, but when you have a home, children, and yourself to worry about, it becomes much more real. Remember to keep yourself updated to protect yourself and your family.
Here are 5 unique hurricane tips to use this summer!
1. Storing ice from your ice maker in clean bags in a spare freezer throughout the season is a great way to ensure you will be able to keep things cool once the power goes out.
2. Using your camping gear is a great resource for traveling and use in your home if you don’t have electricity.
3. Have a family member or friend from out of the area for each person to call in-case local phone lines are jammed. They will be able to keep a tally on who is okay and where they are to relay the information back to you.
4. Make arrangements for pets and livestock. Pets may not be allowed into emergency shelters for health and space reasons. Contact your local humane society for information on animal shelters.
5. Make dog tags for each member of your family with emergency contact information. Keep them in your hurricane prep areas until evacuation is suggested.
We all see those boxed zen rock garden kits on corner isles of our local books and gift stores, and we’ll admit they seem like more work than they are worth.
We changed our minds! After seeing these energetic photos, we are excited to share our favorite parts of a Zen Garden & how we plan to make our own!
Why they are great:
100% Customizable: Size, color, accessories, you name it. Designing your own Zen or Rock Garden can be fun and will get your creative juices flowing! If you want to do a larger project, we recommend using a professional (if you decide to transform a section of your yard or home). We think the best sizes for a DIY-er is table top sized or smaller (something you won’t be walking through). Colored sand is something to look into as well as rocks, or plants. Cacti are generally easy to take care of and you can find them at any local store. Use diverse rocks and accessories to make it your own!
Easier than meditation: meditation is an important life style characteristic that can help you focus, and reduces stress. We get it, not everyone likes the idea of meditation or justify the time spent-that’s OK! Use your Rock Garden to help you think outside of the box and take a step back at work. Use it to re-focus your energy at home. Look at it when you get confused about big decision! Taking the time to rake through the sand and design patterns and waves is can take you to a happy place before you know it.
Conversation Starter: let your garden be a focal point in your home, talk to co-workers about it. Show off your creative and new, zen, mantra to your friends. People love to play around with zen gardens, especially if they have never seen a unique one. It can add character and an ounce of luxury to your home decor.
The best part: they are budget friendly. Designing your garden can cost as little or as much as you want to invest. Visiting your local craft stores, looking through your own drawers of hidden treasures or thrifting can give your garden the vibe that you want to create.
- Start off small and gradually put your garden into bigger spaces. Add accessories over time and as your moods when using the garden change, their flexibility is an asset.
- Consider your gardens surroundings. It is probably the best idea to keep it out of reach of small children and away from rooms with strong fans, your sand or rocks my disappear and end up in your vacuum!
- Use exotic and energizing colors, or go for a monochromatic look, based on what you want to inspire in yourself while using your garden.
Pinterest ideas we love: