Hurricanes have a special place in our heart in Florida. The effects range from a few days off of work and school (in the Florida heat with no electricity… or air conditioning) to complete devastation of a town. When you are younger its a thrill, but when you have a home, children, and yourself to worry about, it becomes much more real. Remember to keep yourself updated to protect yourself and your family.
Here are 5 unique hurricane tips to use this summer!
1. Storing ice from your ice maker in clean bags in a spare freezer throughout the season is a great way to ensure you will be able to keep things cool once the power goes out.
2. Using your camping gear is a great resource for traveling and use in your home if you don’t have electricity.
3. Have a family member or friend from out of the area for each person to call in-case local phone lines are jammed. They will be able to keep a tally on who is okay and where they are to relay the information back to you.
4. Make arrangements for pets and livestock. Pets may not be allowed into emergency shelters for health and space reasons. Contact your local humane society for information on animal shelters.
5. Make dog tags for each member of your family with emergency contact information. Keep them in your hurricane prep areas until evacuation is suggested.
Admit it. We all love Fall! Pumpkin Spice Lattes, cool breezes, the sun not beaming down on our every move—it’s great! School is starting and our weekends are being filled with fantasy football points, pumpkin carving contests, and so many things to bake!
What happened to our summer beach bodies? Somewhere in the madness of daylight savings, the temperature dropping and our schedules getting busy, we start to prioritize other things before our health and self-esteem. Here are a few ways to enjoy the Fall fun, while keeping your body happy; before the ginger bread cookies come out, anyway.
Staying Fit in Fall:
- Actively watch your favorite shows – all of the premieres are starting to pop up, how can we miss them to go to the gym? We don’t have to! There are tons of websites (ahem, pinterest) that gives examples and quick workouts you can do at home. During all those commercial breaks do some jumping jacks and sit ups instead of scrolling through instagram, or delegating chores.
- Get outside – the temperature is finally able to bear in Central Florida. Beaches are starting to clear and the love bugs are starting to leave! Take the time to visit the beach and take a walk with your family, or by yourself. Take in the freshness of Fall and find a new hiking trail. Try out canoeing or paddle boarding! The options are endless.
- Sports – if you have children, chances are they’re seasons are all beginning. Instead of bringing a book or your laptop, try walking around the perimeter of field or sport complex. Walk up and down some bleachers, anything! You might think people are looking at you crazy, but what they’re really thinking is “wow, they must be really dedicated. I wish I could be as healthy as them.” If you don’t have children, join a club or league yourself. There are tons of adult teams you can join, or even start your own; it’s fun, gets you outside and exercising, and is great to just socialize and get out of the house!
These points convinced us, were not letting our beach bods get off the hook. We want to still be fit and healthy in all seasons!
Mother’s Day is quickly approaching! With that in mind it’s time to start thinking of ways to show your mother, wife, or friend how much you care. What better way than with a spa gift card? Give your mom the gift of relaxation! With a gift card, your mother will be able choose from a facial, massage, or even both. She can get any kind of treatment to cater to her needs. Your mom will be able to choose between many different types of massages including Trigger Point Therapy, to help manage pain and stress from injuries, a Deep Tissue massage to release any tension, and many others! She can also get a facial to moisturize her skin, improve tone, and texture! For more information, visit http://www.massageenvy.com/regions/FL/Orlando.aspx
Living in Florida, we get plenty of sun which means plenty of Vitamin D! Vitamin D is naturally produced when the sunlight reaches your skin and it’s essential to stay healthy. In order for your organs and cells to function properly your body requires around 600 IU daily. This is easily obtained through 15-25 minutes of sunlight exposure, but sun exposure should be monitored and sunscreen is a MUST! If you’ve been getting your sun time in, you’re helping your body prevent many diseases including diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, MS, osteoporosis and psoriasis!
With all these benefits it’s also important to consider the other outdoor factors that can affect your body, particularly your skin. Everyday environmental factors such as sunlight, smog, pollution and stress can leave you feeling listless despite having your daily dose of Vitamin D. All of these factors can also age your skin, which is why we developed our Environmental Shield®Vitamin C Facial. Our scientifically proven spa facial has been designed to reverse the signs of aging that result from these factors. Rich in antioxidants including Vitamin C, our facial spa treatment features patented Murad® infusion technology, which delivers pure Vitamin C directly to the skin to maximize wrinkle fighting, collagen production and free radical protection. Pigmentation will fade, fine lines and wrinkles will be smooth, and you will enjoy clearer skin.
Prevention is the best medicine, and even if your skin is not showing the signs of sun damage there is never a better time than now to start a preventative skincare regimen. Stop in today or visit http://www.massageenvy.com/facials.aspx to learn more about what you can to to protect your skin while living the the sunshine state!
If you are one of 40 million Americans who suffer from indoor/outdoor allergies, you are already aware that the season is among us. It’s time to break out the Benadryl, tissues and eye drops but who knew that making an appointment for a massage was among allergy relief treatments?
According to the American Massage Therapy Association, massage therapists can help relieve some allergy symptoms by reducing stress, increasing circulation, releasing muscle tension and reprogramming the body’s panic reaction, which can exacerbate symptoms.
While there are few studies researching massage therapy and allergy relief, we do know that massage helps to relieve stress and stress definitely impacts your allergies. Also, just lying in the face down position can provide immediate relief from sinus congestion related to allergies. This position also allows your therapist to work on the upper back and shoulders, where many sinus trigger points are located.
You also may want to add aromatherapy to your massage session. Essential oils such as eucalyptus, pine, menthol, peppermint and lemon placed on points such as temples, neck and ears can open up your sinus cavities and create excellent movement within.
Are you one of approximately 28 million Americans suffering from migraine headaches? If you are, you should know about Cranial Sacral massage therapy. This is a gentle, noninvasive form of massage therapy that will help to release compression in the bones of the head, spinal column and sacrum, thus alleviating stress and pain causing your migraines. It also promotes relaxation and proper immune system function, enhancing healing throughout your body.
Migraines remain one of the most prevalent and puzzling conditions in the medical world today. According to the National Headache Foundation, approximately 28 million Americas suffer from migraine headaches. Cranial Sacral massage therapy is giving these migraine sufferers hope. The goal of this innovative therapy is to restore the natural position of the bones and decrease stress to provide relief from migraine headaches. Through light touch and gentle manipulation of areas on the head, one of our trained experts can detect where the natural flow of the craniosacral system is restricted and facilitate a release where flow can be restored.
This is a great alternative for people seeking non-pharmacological intervention for the treatment of migraine headaches. Unlike certain medications, Cranial Sacral massage therapy comes without side effects. Also, overuse of medication is a risk factor for the development of chronic daily migraines. So, for those looking for other options in headache relief, this form of massage therapy is a powerful alternative.
There are hundreds of health myths that have been circulating both online and offline for years. Here are a few common ones that you may find surprising:
Cold Weather May Cause Illness
- Believe it or not, cold weather has no effect on whether or not someone will get sick. The rhinovirus, cause of the common cold, is just that – a virus. As such, it doesn’t depend on external forces of nature to spread from host to host. However, cold weather forces more people inside and into closer proximity. It’s likely that this increased cohabitation and interaction allows the virus to spread.
Knuckle Crackers Will Suffer from Arthritis
- Avid knuckle crackers are at no more risk to get arthritis than people without the habit. However, those prone to cracking their knuckles do find that they have weaker hand strength. An increased risk of swelling in the hands is also a result of popping your knuckles.
Body Heat Escapes through the Head
- Various studies conducted have shown that, in cold weather, the majority of body heat is lost through the head. What these studies fail to account for is that the participants were dressed in warm clothing except for hats. By this comparison, more heat was lost from the head than from covered parts of the body. The truth is, body heat is lost through any uncovered part of the body.
Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms are Sanitary
- In an attempt to be more sanitary, many public restrooms now have motion-activated hand dryers instead of paper towel dispensers. Unfortunately, these dryers often have massive amounts of bacteria growing inside them. The fans can then blow the collected bacteria up to six feet away from the dryer’s own location. As such, these dryers are just as dirty as the door handles.
Reading in Low Light Ruins Eyesight
- Eyes often adjust themselves according to the light, as experienced when a person steps from a dark room into sunlight. This is also true when reading in dim light. While there is a strain on the eyes, no actual damage occurs. Eyesight returns to normal after a period of rest. This is also true of watching television in the dark or using the computer in the dark.
Humans Use Only 10% of their Brains
- Recent studies and imaging technologies have shown that there is not a single part of the brain that remains completely inactive. Multiple areas react to different stimuli, functions, and situations. While the brain may not always be 100% active at all times, humans simply could not function if only a portion of the brain was used.
Cell Phones Cause Cancer
- Radiation has been linked to the development of cancer. However, humans are exposed to amounts of radiation normally throughout the day. Certain foods, like bananas, even give off radiation. The small amounts of electromagnetic radiation given off by cell phones aren’t enough to damage cells, and the body easily repairs any damage that does occur.
These are just some of the myths you should be aware of in your day-to-day war on unhealthy behaviors. So the next time someone tries to lecture you on the dangers of cell phones and cracking your knuckles, you’ll be the wiser!
GRAND OPENING JUNE 15TH!
Our newest spa location is opening just in time for Father’s Day! Located at in Clermont! For more information, directions and phone numbers visit us online at: http://www.massageenvy.com/