It’s just a matter of time before all of the holiday invites start coming your way– Christmas Eve, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Years, the excuses to eat continue! Prepare to sit down at a table filled with stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet corn, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and cookies. Thank god you’re wearing stretchy pants!
While the holidays are a time to celebrate and indulge, you want to be sure not to go overboard. Enjoy the holiday season without adding inches to your waistline with these basic healthy eating survival tips.
- Start your day off by exercising. The more calories you burn now, the more you can enjoy later.
- Eat small, healthy meals throughout the day to prepare for a big dinner.
- Don’t arrive at a party hungry. This may lead to poor eating decisions. Eat a piece of fruit or yogurt before heading out.
- When at dinner, first fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. Then add the holiday treats; just be mindful of portion control.
- Pass on sugary soft drinks and instead satisfy your sweet tooth with one piece of dessert.
- Hydrate with water. Often when we think we’re hungry, we’re actually just thirsty.
- Be mindful of alcohol. Beer, wine and alcohol are high in calories and will definitely stimulate your appetite.
- Leave the leftovers. It’s okay to indulge here and there, but don’t take the holiday grub home to your fridge.
- Remember, it takes about 20 minutes to start feeling full. Eat slowly and enjoy every bite to help curb overeating.
- Finally, have fun! Don’t stress about treating yourself during the holidays. Just enjoy your time with friends and family over good, delicious food.