Here are some interesting survey results by Opinion Research Corp. International in Princeton, N.J.
Based on a national sample of 1,014 U.S. adults:
- 90% of Americans feel massage is good for a person’s health.
- 93% agree that massage is effective for pain relief.
- Massage Therapy in people age 65+ has tripled from 4% in 1997 to 15%
- 34% of Americans had a massage in the past year
- 73% of those who had a massage recommend it to a person they know.
- 46% have had a massage to relieve pain.
- From those who has discussed massage therapy with a medical professional, 57% said they encouraged them to get a massage.
Massage has also been seen to be somewhat of a substitute to medication for those experiencing pain. We can look forward to more developments in massage research and it’s benefits as it becomes more prominent.